Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Zen of Pie


I had a Jonah day* yesterday.

I was cranky and irritable for no real reason; I snapped at the girls, I rolled my eyes at the dog, I sniped at Chris and huffed and puffed all over the house. I was unbearable.

I was driving myself crazy. Then, in the early evening, it was time to slip on my worn and flour-y apron and prepare to make pie dough.

As I cut the cold and creamy butter into little slices, I could feel it. My tensed hands began to relax. I sprinkled the butter, along with frozen bits of shortening, into the flour and my fingers slid along the pieces. My breathing began to slow as I cut the fat into the dough, focused on finding the exact right moment when it blended, secure in knowing when that moment would come. I added just the tiniest amount of cold liquid to hold it all together and then quickly incorporated the dry into the wet before pouring it all into the little squares of plastic I had prepared for it.

I could feel the back of my neck and my shoulders relaxing. The frantic flutter in my chest slowed, and for the first time that day I was aware of the quiet house around me. All of a sudden it was clear to me: I had been a colossal jerk! Why had I been so nasty? I couldn't remember.

I gingerly wrapped the dough in the plastic and slid it into the back of the fridge to chill. Then I took off my apron and searched out my family to give them a hug and apologize for being such a pill. They hugged me back and gave me forgiving smiles, and crowded into the kitchen to chat while I finished baking. All was right with the world.

And it was because of pastry dough.

Happy Fourth of July!


*Five points to anyone to catches that reference!
*Old picture of last year's cherry pie. This dough was destined for maple-blueberry. Mmm!

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Is it from Anne of Green Gables or Anne of Avonlea, I can't remember. One of my favorite series growing up!

Becca said...

Anne of Avonlea! Yeah, Tracey!

You win, ah...five points, heh. Plus we all know now that you are very cool. :)