Monday, May 04, 2009

Beth's First Communion

Beth made her First Communion last weekend!
She was very nervous about the technicalities - where to stand, where to walk, etc., but as these things always go, once she was there it was all perfectly easy.

There was a moment earlier in the day when Beth and I were talking about things and I said, "when the bell rings, do you realize that Jesus will actually be there, in the church, and He will be there just for you?"

As I said it, she looked at me with shining eyes and the weight and wonder of it all sank into my own heart as well. There are so many things in life that too easily become afterthoughts - or things you do or encounter with no thought at all. I'm grateful for moments like this, when the whole church is filled with people who have come together specifically because it is such a Big Deal. It's not just a rite of passage, it is, as our Pastor quoted from St. Therese, "The first sweet kiss of Jesus."

Wow.

God Bless you, my crazy little Beth. I hope the awe and excitement of this day stays with you always.



No comments: