Thursday, November 15, 2007

they never understand that I really am in charge

Abbie really likes potato chips. So, today, she tried to wheedle some out of me before lunchtime. The strict rule around here is no snack-y things until after lunch. (Of course, had the email about her MRI come by then she may have encountered less resistance to her charms.) I kept firmly saying, "No."

Abbie was getting frustrated, and I could literally see the wheels turning behind those big blue eyes. She finally leaned in close to me and whispered very slowly and distincly, "If you do not give me a chip, I will not say please."

If she had been saying, "If you don't eat your meat, you won't get any pudding!" the tone would have been no different. I looked down at her and she had that don't-make-me-come-over-there Mommy Look, directed straight at me. Then she cocked her eyebrow. She clearly felt that she was fully in charge, and that withholding that "please" would punish me good and plenty.

No chips for her. But I hightailed it out there as fast as I could go, before she could see me laugh.

No comments: