One good thing about the older girls going to school is that Claire and Abbie have suddenly become Big Buddies. Previously, they were really more Tolerant Rivals, so I'm glad to see the change.
My mom asked me the other day if I have to worry about Claire overpowering Abbie, but the truth is that, despite her sweet and gentle demeanor, if there is any bullying going on between the two of them I can almost be guaranteed that Abbie is not the victim.
For example:
Last week the two younger girls were playing in the living room while I was helping the two older ones with homework. At some point Claire decided to abandon the game, and she went to the basement door to go downstairs. Abbie was following right on her heels, though, and slammed the door shut before Claire could get through. So Claire opened the door again, and again Abbie slammed it shut. This happened three or four times before Chris, who was in the basement and thought that Claire was just playing with the door, yelled up to her to leave the door closed.
Claire moaned at how unfair it was, but the look on Abbie's face said it all. She knew she was the victor. Abbie very gently took Claire's hand, and in a tone that implied just accept it and be a good loser, said to Claire, "Come on, dear" and led her back to the living room.
And Claire went.
Monday, September 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment