Wednesday, September 13, 2006

see ya, sucker!

Actually, Abbie's Occupational Therapist is a wonderful woman, and she has been great with Abbie. I'll actually miss her. But she's outta here!

Yup, Abbie is doing well enough that she was discharged from OT yesterday. We'll still probably see a PT/OT through the state about twice a week, but Abbie's last evaluation has her just a month or two behind where she should be.

This is such a happy moment for us. Chris and I were talking last night about our friends' daughter, who is a year younger than Abbie, and who has recently begun to crawl. I remember when they came to visit right after Abbie's first surgery, and I realized that Ella was stronger and more mobile at 3 months than Abbie was at 17 months. It made me so sad, and it really drove home just how much the surgery had affected her.

But here we are, a mere four months later, and Abbie is back to crawling up and down the stairs and running around the house. She can totally dust Ella if she wants to!

It's crazy how resiliant she is. The OT told me yesterday that Abbie is really doing everything, naturally, that she needs to do in order to improve. I know that she is really too young to feel sorry for herself, but it is still amazing to me that she just keeps chugging away despite all of the trauma she has gone through. And she keeps smiling, and laughing, and teasing everybody with that sweet little way that babies have.

Holy cow, I love this kid.

No comments: