-1-
Lucy started Preschool this past Tuesday. It's at a local Nature Center, and I think it is going to be a good fit for her. I haven't, in general, been a big fan of Preschool but I could tell that Lucy both needed a primer on how to behave in a classroom and that she was desperate to go to school like her big sisters. This program is only two days a week and is "nature-based" which translates into playing outside and taking a lot of walks, with some visits from awesome animals thrown in. (They've already visited the barn owls they keep on the grounds and have begun to raise horseshoe crabs!)
-2-
We are wondering if this will signal the end of the Imaginary Classroom: Rosie,who lives above a coffee-shop and has hot chocolate every morning, the wise teacher Mrs. Orangie Power, who once died of a broken leg and whispered to Lucy with her last breath, "Don't be afraid of ghosts!" (Mrs. Orangie Power eventually resurrected, although the details on that are unclear.) I will be kind of sad to see it all go. It's been fun to see the crazy things Lucy comes up with, like her 'second-best' imaginary friend Amy, who had a pet stink bug, not to mention the fact that Orangie Power is a freaking awesome name and it makes me happy every time I hear Lucy say it.
-3-
After her first day of school, Lucy said that she was a little homesick but had fun. (She also told me all the details so that I could tell everyone else - she did not want to waste her own time repeating herself.)
The second day, when I asked her how her day was, Lucy said, "I had a lot of fun! I didn't miss you at all! Actually, I forgot you existed!"
I'm going to take that as a good sign.
-4-
Claire had an incident in lunch this week. A boy started harassing her about the size of our family, telling her that "Eight people in one family is too much!" etc. She held her own and told him that he must be unhappy with his own family if he was focusing so much on hers. (Claire, at 8, is sometimes remarkably insightful.) It all worked for the good, though, because now this boy is not allowed to sit anywhere near her during lunch. He's been a thorn in her side for years now, so I'm glad she gets a break.
Still, this is the first time any of the girls have encountered a really negative attitude towards having six sisters. Claire handled it well and didn't get unduly upset, yet still...The whole thing makes me sad.
-5-
I stole my neice and nephew for a few hours earlier this week, and I'm sorry Becky but I couldn't help myself!
I could not get him to stay still enough to take a unblurred picture, which cracks me up. He may end up wearing Minnie-Mouse shoes when he comes here, but this kid is always all-boy!
-6-
Yesterday, while I was putting Ruth to sleep and Chris was picking up the Girl Scouts, Lucy went on a rampage of sorts. She opened the Ovaltine and ate about a third of the powder with a spoon, then she went into the bathroom and ate 3 Children's Chewable Tylenol tablets.
The positives: I got to catch up with my good friends at Poison Control. The medicine cabinet was in need of a good cleaning-out anyways (I found some stuff we haven't used in close to a decade, stuff I'm mystified ever survived the move.) I have one less portion of dessert to worry about for the next week, as Lucy is most definitely cut off. Ah, and I realized that she can reach the faucet just fine so the stool (which gives her access to the medicine cabinet as well) is now comfortably nestled in storage.
-7-
This is by far the best blanket I've ever made. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it! I'm also now just finishing up an epic blanket that I've been making for Lucy. I began it two years ago, so it feels good to almost be finished! I'll post a picture once it's done.
Thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary for hosting 7 Quick Takes!
2 comments:
Becca,
You don't have to apologize to me. Dante might have a few words to say, however. ;) Lucy looks too cute. And way to go Claire, for standing up to that silly boy.
Lucy tickles me so.
Look at that smile , I have never seen anyone happier to go to school.
Don't worry about Lucy investigating her world- I am sure Mrs Orangie Power is watching out for her!!!! (Why Moms have to have eyes in the back of her head)
Claire rocks- this is why kids from big families grow up being so pro life ,they defend life all their lives.
Why people think they have a right to be rude about the size of a family escapes me.
Post a Comment