Friday, September 30, 2011

7 Quick Takes, because I feel silly writing a post *just* about how I made a blanket

1:  I finished it!!!
 
Finally, after two years of toil and uncertainty, Lucy's quilt is finished!  It's not exactly perfect;  I ditched my original plan for the blanket and ended up cobbling together what I had already done with scraps from other abandoned projects.

2:  Now I have to do one for everybody
 
Notice the other waif in this picture, looking on with pathetic longing?  Suddenly, everyone is dying for their own blanket.  I don't know how I am going to handle this, draw straws?  Beth thinks I should pick based on age;  I think she's afraid that she will be grown and gone by the time I get around to her blanket.  I have promised a blanket to everyone sometime before they leave for college, but I have to say that I am a little daunted by the amount of time this is going to take.

3:  Here's a little slice of life with Ruth

She's pretty scattered, focus-wise.  Isn't it cute, though, how she waves to people out the window?  She does this all the time.  And Mom - she really likes the book!  It's significant that she keeps coming back to it.


4: The cooler weather is here to stay which means, ugh, the changing of the clothes

I want to curl up into a ball and die.
I wonder how other mothers with lots of kids do this.  Is the pain and suffering unavoidable?  Or is it avoidable, and I'm just doing it wrong?
I wish we could go back to only having one, two outfits at most.  It would be so much easier.


5:  Did you know that facial-recognition deficiency is, like, a thing?

It is!  I've recently read two separate accounts of people mentioning that they have trouble remembering faces.  It's a relief to know that I am not the only freak pretending to know who has just stopped them in the grocery store.

This is how bad it's become for me:  I was in Target last week, lugging Ruth in my arms and trying to navigate a cart overladen with two huge stools (which are working out great for our homework table!  I am a genius!)  I saw, over the stools, a glimpse of someone at the end of the aisle, looking directly at me.  I knew that her face was familiar somehow, but I ducked back behind the stool to give myself time.  I knew it was a familiar face, not just someone I see once in a while.  Still, though, I had no idea who she was or how I knew her.   Finally, near the end of the aisle myself, I sighed and came out from behind my hiding spot to face the music.

It was  mirror.  The face I had not recognized was my own face

All this is to say:  If I run in to you, and can't immediately remember who you are, please don't take it personally.  I really can't help it.

6:  The nights that Ruth does not sleep well teach me something

I really need sleep.  Babies should not try to play peek-a-boo at 3am, it's mean.  And Middle Schools should not open so early, some of us like to sleep in. 

7: I've been on an old movie kick and:  what's with all the scandalous behavior?!?!

How did I never notice before how so many of these old movies (like, 40s and early 50s) treat adultery like something that's just mildly amusing?  I can't believe how many meet-cute romances I've rewatched, not remembering that one or both of the main characters were married to other people at the start of the movie.

It's making me feel a little better about our current culture, at least.


Thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh is that Ruth the sweetest little thing!!!!! She is sooo loved and she knows it. Ruth knows all she has to do is scrunch up her little nose and she has every one eating out of her hand. It tickles me she likes the book. I had hoped she would.
The blanket for Ruth is darling. She will treasurer it always as it came from her Mom for her.Hopefully you will be able to do one for each of them as it will mean a lot.Maybe if you do not get so fancy and just do one color each it will go faster.

As far as the clothes go- when they reach Katie's age it will get easier. Look she has slowed down growing,will only like a few things.The next thing will be them fighting over the same clothes item. But you are right them only having a few outfits would help a lot.
Love
Mom

Katie said...

Ahh, I couldn't live with only 3 outfits!!!!