I was about to comment on a favorite blog of mine, when I realized that what I was going to say is really better said here, where all of you (meaning: mom and mom-in-law) can appreciate it.
Working in the bakery has been going really well. I like what I'm doing (decorating cakes, mostly, with some proofing and baking thrown in. It's the hauling boxes in and out of freezers that I can do without.) My manager has been great about trying to accommodate me, scheduling me to only work three days out of the week so that I can be at home as much as possible. The only downside is that usually means I get the Sunday doughnut shift - starting at 4am (and soon to be 3am). I actually like doing the doughnuts, but the hours are a killer for a dyed-in-the-wool nightowl like myself.
Here's the thing, though, that makes it all just dandy. Chris has, for one, been bringing the girls in to see me around my lunch break (which, when you begin work at 4, ends up being around 10am.) I set aside doughnuts for them - which means they get to have as many of the coveted strawberry-frosted as they want (a rare thing, as finding 5 strawberry doughnuts at once is much harder than you would think.)
Also, Chris has been stepping up to the plate for Sunday dinners, making braised short ribs almost every weekend. Braised short ribs, if you don't know, is similar to a roast only.........well, much better. It is truly fall off the fork tender -that's not just an expression, you know! It is an actual phenomena that can be achieved if you have a way with meat. And Chris does. It is comforting, and warm, and aromatic, and delicious. It's the perfect fall/winter meal, and the perfect way to end a day that began elbow-deep in frosting hours before the birds are even thinking of waking up.
I see the effort he is making to help me out where he can. Sundays used to be his sacred, football-watching, lounging-around day, and I know it is a sacrifice to him to give that up. And I'm so grateful that he is willing to; it keeps me from becoming just a tired wife; instead I'm a happy wife, grateful for the chance to be a part of this amazing family.
Short ribs: soul-food in every sense of the term.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment