Sunday, February 04, 2007

Musings from the frozen aisle

I ran to the grocery store this afternoon to pick up some milk and stuff to make nachos, but once in the store I thought I should pick up some apples while I was at it. Then I remembered that we are almost out of lunch juice boxes, then ...........well, you know how it goes.

As I was trudging through there, though, I was suddenly struck by how much more food we need, and how little it lasts. The bigger girls (Katie and Beth) are starting to eat more like normal people, less like toddlers who exist on some mystery plane that apparently doesn't require regular intake of food. Claire, too, has an appetite that is beginning to have a direct affect on the shopping list. (Abbie, of course, is still a nonfactor, unless you count bannanas and oatmeal.) I bought a box of frozen waffles a week or two ago as a special treat, but they are still in the freezer. Why? Well, when I got them home I realized that six waffles divided among four girls leaves.....not enough waffles. The funny thing is that when I bought them, I had a fleeting vision of happy, syrup-y mornings. Note the plural! I planned on using the waffles for at least two breakfasts, not realizing that while I was daydreaming my family had moved beyond a one-box demand.

Wow. Someone told me, back when Katie was a tiny newborn, that "it all goes by so fast." At the time I thought this person must be on crack - the days were draaaaaging by as my baby refused to sleep, making each afternoon feel like a year. But......here I am, suddenly realizing that I am shopping for a little, newly-formed family when the reality is we're only two years shy of our 10 yr anniversary, and there are four (and soon five!) hatchlings waiting at home with open mouths. So again - wow. It all goes by so fast.

No comments: