I made a CD of songs that pertain to Abbie's situation. It's available on iTunes through imix. I thought I'd post the songs, because taken all together I think it really captures the way this all feels. A word of warning, though! We are lovers of Rock here, so....uh, some of these songs might not appeal to everyone. :)
The Tumor Mix
1- Theme from Blinking Lights..............................The Eels
2-Blackbird...............................................................CSN
3-Bad Day.................................................................Danial Powter
4-Wires......................................................................Athlete
5-Wonder...................................................................Natalie Merchant
6-We're All in this Together....................................Old Crow Medicine Show
7-Sometimes You Can't Make it on your Own.....U2
8-I Will Keep the Bad Things From You...............The Damnwells
9-The Funeral...........................................................Band of Horses
10-Alive......................................................................Pearl Jam
11-Daughter with It's Okay.....................................Pearl Jam (Live from Quickens Loan Arena)
12-Glosoli....................................................................Sigur Ros
A bit of an explanation:
3- This is Abbie's favorite song, hands down. And it is pretty relevant, since she's had quite a few "bad days." She started asking me to sing this to her in the hospital, and it's now a ritual (that we go through many, many, many times whenever we go back.)
4 - this song is about a baby born prematurely, but the lines "Running....down corridors....got to get to you, got to see this through" explain exactly how I feel any time I'm obliged to leave the hospital for a bit. And I love the lines, "I see it in your eyes, I see it in your eyes....You will be alright."
5- This is really more a tribute to my cousin, Mary, who passed away as an infant. I remember hearing my aunt and uncle say that it made them think of her, and it has made me think of her ever since. Mary has been in my mind constantly ever since Abbie's tumor was first diagnosed, and I ask her to intercede for Abbie all of the time. I have to believe that her innocent little soul praying for my innocent little child has to be very powerful.
8- This song is more of a love song, but I really identify with the desire to "keep the bad things from you."
11- Pearl Jam only plays this live, but the "It's Okay" segway has always been a favorite with our kids. This is another song I sing to Abbie all the time when we are in the hospital. The main lyrics are "It's okay...It's okay, you don't have to run and hide away. It's okay...It's okay, you know we've all seen better days."
12- This song was on constant repeat in my mind during both of Abbie's major surgeries. It's not in english, but it is clearly a song about a journey -- a long, difficult journey. The video shows children marching over mountains until they get to a cliff, and jump off..........and they all fly away. It is beautiful, and poignant, and one of my favorite songs of all time. And for me it reflects the hope I have that Abbie is going to be okay, and stronger for this ordeal. And the hope, or really the conviction, that no matter what she is in good Hands.
So, anyways, here's the link to the imix. If it doesn't work, I can email a link to you through iTunes. It's not worth it, though, unless you are actually going to buy all of the songs. But I thought I'd put it out there, just in case. :)
Here's the link from my email:
Congratulations, your iMix "Soundtrack to living with an ill child" has been published in the iTunes Music store at:http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=201489222
Friday, October 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment