Katie found an angel costume in a bag of hand-me-downs today, and she immediately put it on and began floating around the house proclaiming heavenly things in a sing-songy sort of way. As I was getting ready to do the elliptical machine, Katie was standing in the middle of the basement singing, "You must all share your things.......You must all be kind to each other.... You need to love God...." Nobody was paying her any particular attention.
Fast forward about 15 minutes (I can never go long on the elliptical without being interuppted), I had taken my headphones off and noticed Katie standing over Beth, who was innocently enough laying on the floor and drawing. Katie was angelically singing:
Beth! I fear that you are going to hell!
Oh dear Beth, you are going to go to hell!
Beth, being Beth, didn't even realize that Katie was there. And Katie, who didn't previously know that telling someone they are going to hell is included in "bad words," was immedietly enlightened. And I found myself again stumped by the philosophy of my children. Do angels know, before a person dies, if they are going to hell for certain or not?
Never once before having children did it occur to me that I would one day sit at the computer with my 7 year old daughter, googling variations on "angels and damnation." But there I was. It's an interesting life.
Monday, October 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's quite remarkable. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever thought about it, but I suppose our guardian angels would have a good idea of our destiny.
My niece the other day (2 1/2 y.o.) asked my sister (while making the Sign of the Cross), "Why don't we touch our noses when we pray?"
Why, indeed?
Post a Comment