Thursday, April 12, 2012

Still working on it...

I put up a post yesterday about Lucy's misunderstanding of the common phrase She who smelled it, dealt it, but what I didn't put up was the long, drawn-out conversation we had wherein I tried to explain her mistake.

Somewhere along the way, it occurred to me that Lucy was forming the impression that any talk about smell whatsoever really just means that somebody passed gas and is trying to hide it.  So I started to backtrack, and then found myself getting tripped up, and by the end of our 15 minute long exegesis of She who Smelled it, Dealt It I knew that Lucy still had no idea what the phrase really means.

So today I was sitting at the computer when Lucy came up to me wearing a shimmery costume.  She ran her hands over the silky material and then asked me if I knew why she was doing so.

"Does the fabric feel nice on your hands?" I asked.
"No, Mom," she said, exasperated.  "I'm feeling my dress."
 I still couldn't tell what she was getting at.
"Mom," she said, slowly and very patiently, "I'm doing this because she who felt it, dealt it."

I give up.  I just give up.

No comments: