Thursday, May 26, 2011

Help Me Save The Rainforest! (A post by Katie)

Every month I have to do a "Helping Our World" project where I have to do something that has a positive effect on our world. So, I've decided to put up my BCR (brief constructed response) I made back November about how we should save the rain forest. This was not hard at all, so don't worry:
"It is EXTREMELY important to save the rain forest. The tropical rain forest used to cover 14% of the earth's surface. Now, it only covers 6%! Over half of the rain forest has been destroyed! This is NOT good. More than 20% of the world's oxygen comes from the rain forest. We need oxygen to survive, so we need the rain forest. 137 plants, animal, and insect species are lost every day (update: that's 50,005 per year)! We should not kill all these plants, animals, and insects in ONE DAY, every day! There are 3,000 known plants that help treat cancer. 70% of these are found in the rain forest (update: that's 2,100/3,000 plants).Cancer is terrible, and we need these plants to fight it! 1 1/2 acres of the rain forest are destroyed EVERY SECOND (update-that's 200,000 acres everyday, and 780 miles every year)! We use many items from the tropical rain forest on a daily basis, such as banana,coffee beans,cocoa beans,rubber, alkaloids, digitalis, spices, etc. We need these things, as they are a part of our lives. If we destroy the rain forest, we will lose many things that are important in our lives."

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
You clearly explained the problem. Very easy to understand the importance of this issue.

Even the simple act of picking up garbage shows respect for the earth.

Is there a link you want us to go to, I will gladly do that for you.
Much Love,
Huggggs & Kissessss
Grandma