Friday, June 25, 2010

5 steps to achieve peace (not the political kind, but still nice)

I have discovered the secret to summertime peace and happiness!

Here are the steps, they are very simple but require a decent amount of stamina in the beginning.

1- Make a big, special breakfast and while the children are snarfing it down declare that today is a Cleaning Day.
2- Write detailed, very specific, very long lists for every child - even the ones who can't read.
3- Commence cleaning, circling around every once in a while to point out the things the children have done half-heartedly, and make them do it again.
4- Every time someone claims to be done, inspect the work closely.
5- If it isn't perfect, make them re-do it. If it's okay, give them something else to do.

At the end of this you will have two things: a sparkling house, and complete peace and quiet as the children are all afraid that making eye contact with you might generate more housework.

Ahhhhh.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Hmmmmm......this is a fabulous idea. I definetely need to try it.

mom-carol said...

You are showing your experience which brings and wisdom.
Go Becca!!!!!

Now what do you say to your little Cinderella's when they tell you "they are the only ones who have to clean." NONE of their friends Mom's make them clean.!!!!!!

Humm- can't wait for the answer.

Becca said...

Ha, Mom I was going to put in how I tend to go straight to the horror stories when they complain, aka "did you know that maggots can grow in laundry if it isn't cleaned up? Well it can, go clean it up before it's too late." In thinking about it, I realized that I first heard the maggots-in-laundry threat from you....in response to my whining. :-)

Katie said...

I knew it!!! I have always known the trick, so I try to be prepared!