Abbie turns 5 today! I will post pictures someday, when my laptop allows me to upload them from my camera. Hopefully it will be in the mood sooner rather than later.
Abbie had a good day, I think. This birthday feels like a real milestone, to us, for some reason. Chris and I are both just finding ourselves...extra grateful, I guess, to have this kid around.
The morning started off very sweetly. The two older girls (on their own, with their own money, and without my prior knowledge) bought birthday gifts for Abbie at the Holiday Shop they have in school. So they begged me to allow Abbie to open them before school. Claire, who doesn't yet have her own money, decided a few days ago to make Abbie a bracelet and she went first, shyly apologizing to Abbie for the homemade gift (which was also way too small) but Abbie gave her a big hug and said, "Oh, I love it, Claire! It's okay that I can't wear it, I'll just like to look at it."
Beth gave Abbie a Christmas-tree shaped etch-a-sketch, which was cool and well appreciated but soon eclipsed by Katie's gift, a talking bear that records your own messages. As the girls were all exclaiming excitedly over Katie's gift, Beth sat by herself and fiddled with the etch-a-sketch. Katie (who had very carefully picked out Abbie's gift, and who I know was secretly hoping to be the giver of the day's best present) saw Beth's face and then started loudly talking about how cool the etch-a-sketch was, drawing everyone's attention back to it.
I was so proud. So proud of all of them.
We ate our cinnamon rolls, and later Chris and I took Abbie and Lucy to Abbie's favorite library (which has a kid-sized town to explore, complete with grocery store, post office and fishing pond). We fired up Abbie's dinner of choice (Spaghetti-O's, Lord help me) and then the Grandparents and returning college hero, Uncle Andy, came over for some (terribly ugly - wait until you see the picture!) cake. Tomorrow we will all go to the aquarium, and Grandma Niccoli will come over to finish off our celebration. Abbie is having a great birthday.
That morning in the kitchen, though, is what I will remember forever. Five girls coming together so happily, so sweetly, so lovingly. We have plenty of mornings full of bickering and spilt milk and nasty attitudes, but it was good to see everyone pull together like that and just enjoy making their sister happy. That is one of Abbie's talents - she draws people to her, and draws out the best in them.
I thank God for the privilege of being her mother. I thank Him for giving us this time with her. I thank Him for the dynamic she brings to this family.
Happy Birthday, Bejabbers. We love you.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment