Wednesday, October 28, 2009

pictures for ya

First of all, Katie's first sleepover. It went well: I only had to tell them to quiet down twice, and I was able to fall asleep around 1:30 so....much better than any sleepover I had as a kid! (Sorry again, Mom.)

A phenomena I've observed was highlighted during this party - the almost mythical dimensions "the sisters" have reached. We had carefully coached the younger girls to stay out of the way of the party, but both Katie and her friends wanted to include them at every turn. One of the crafts we did was to decorate and sign pillowcases, and the other girls all insisted on having not only the girls from the party, but Katie's little sisters sign them as well. The younger girls were treated like celebrities. It made me proud to realize just how much Katie talks up her sisters to her friends, and it also made me proud to see what a force these five girls make when they band together. The other kids all clearly viewed them as something special that they wanted to be a part of, and it did my heart so much good to have it confirmed: it's not just my mother's eyes that see it, these girls really are something special.

They even insisted on including the sisters in the group photo:

Here's Katie blowing out the candles on her cupcake. (It's become a bday party staple here to have decorate-your-own cupcakes. Makes it easier on me!)

Here's Katie's actual birthday cake. I wasn't completely happy with it, but I learned a valuable lesson: never use dark colored glittery sprinkles with light colored frosting!

And here are cupcakes that I pretty proud of. Funny thing, though - Katie's teacher (very sweetly) emailed me to say that she grew up in New York City, but thought my cupcakes were the best she's ever had. (Yeah, okay, I'm bragging, but wait for the rest of the story...) The thing is, the kids in school didn't like them at all. Chris thinks it's because they aren't used to frosting that isn't from a can, but who knows? Obviously, the cupcakes were pretty frosting-heavy. Katie was happy with them, though, so that's really the only thing that matters. As always, my goal is only to impress my kids. If that's accomplished, who cares what anyone else thinks!

They were cute, though, weren't they?

No comments: