Saturday, August 12, 2006

Not Everything that happens in Vegas...stays in Vegas

I'm pregnant.

Stop. Take a moment to breathe. Yes, I am pregnant.

So....let's chat for a moment. I am guessing that a lot of people will hear this news, and think, "What? These people are crazy!!! Don't they already have a baby -- a baby with a brain tumor??? Haven't they already had to make major life changes because they are already overwhelmed? Stupid, rabbit-like breeding Catholics!"

Well, here is the truth: I have moments when I am very scared. I don't know what our life is going to look like 8 months from now. We know that Abbie will need 6 weeks of radiation, but we don't know when that will be. We don't know how sick the chemo will make her, or if it will even work at all. I don't know what it will be like to have the girls in a traditional school - as the first day looms, I'm starting to wonder if we've actually just created more work for ourselves rather than less. I can't see the future, and it worries me that this baby will arrive in a time of chaos, frustration, or - dear God forbid - sorrow. I am afraid.

This, though, is also the truth: I have moments when I am filled with an absolute glowing joy, thinking of the life growing quietly inside of me. In my heart I knew that our family was not yet complete, and it is exciting and wonderful to think that our family has not yet been defined, and that we are one step closer to becoming who we were meant to be. And I can think of many, many positives this baby will bring to our family. I am excited. We are all excited, and we are all happy to have something so positive - an adorable, sweet-smelling, funny little baby- to look forward to.

So, there we are. Feel free to discuss among yourselves, I just ask that you keep the three Socratic filters in mind while you discuss my family:

  • Is it True?
  • Is it Useful?
  • Is it Good?

(And P.S. to Carol B. -- this title was just for you!!!! :) )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,

Congratulations on your littlest one and on your new house. I can't find your email address, but want to send you a note, and I don't see an email address for you on this blog either. If you still have my email, please send me a note, so I can send you a note. ;-) Otherwise, I am sure you can get my email from Laura Garcia or someone else we know in common.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Kelly Jones

Becca said...

Hi Kelly! I emailed you, or at least I think I did. If you don't get it soon, let me know, b/c I'm not sure if the email I had for you was current.

And thank you for the prayers!