Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Love Songs for Weirdos

Ruth has been screaming since 6:00 this morning.  Couldn't tell you why, teeth maybe.  She can be an extremely moody baby, and I'm about at my wits end.  So, when I saw one of my favorite blogs running a Love Song Link Up, I thought: Sure!  Why not spend some time thinking about the songs that have inspired the love that created this little monster who is (no joke) at this moment biting my leg.

1- Slow Show by The National

I realize that The National is not an obvious choice for my #1 love song, but I love the way they manage to convey the anguish of being in love while still somehow making it seem worthwhile.

This song has particular meaning to me because Chris always tells me that the part "You know I've dreamed about you....for 29 years..." always makes him think of me.  Lucky us, though, since we only had to dream for 19 years. 

2- Lover of the Light by Mumford and Sons
Love this song.  I just love it!  Can't wait for it to be officially released.

3- Shake it Out by Florence and The Machine
This is another less-than-obvious choice, but it couldn't be more relevant for me.  Every time I manage to shake off my own dead horses, this kind of elation is always what follows.  Unfortunately, I also like to "keep my issues strong" so the hope in this song is so, so good for me.

4- Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show
This one is pretty self-explanatory.  I love the longing in this, plus going to our first OCMS concert marked the, "hey, we love music and need it in our lives" phase of family life for us.  For some reason, this was a fundamental element we forgot in those first few years of marriage.


5- Ode to Joy by Beethoven 
 This is really what love feels like to me.  I mean, I like the swaying, gushy feeling that comes, too, but it's the almost-too-much-intensity of joy that really gets to me.  I can't believe I am so lucky as to feel this way about another human being.

And now, since I can only ignore this teething baby for so long, I'm done.  I kind of deliberately did not put down the songs that are really, truly "our songs" because......you know:
Twere profination of our joys
To tell the laity our love

But these are all songs I think illustrate some of the aspects of love I find beautiful and inspiring.  I hope it makes some kind of sense to someone other than me! 

And check out the Love Song Link Up to see what other people are listening to!

4 comments:

Hallie @ Moxie Wife said...

Thank you so much for adding "Shake it Out." I've always loved this song but had no idea who was behind it!

Lacey said...

I love Mumford and Sons so darn much! I didn't know about that new song, though, so thank you!!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becca said...

Hallie, thanks for commenting! I feel like I've been visited by a celebrity. (:

Lacey, my 12 year old daughter actually found the song for me last summer, on YouTube. She "recorded" it by holding her ipod up to the computer speakers so we could listen to it in the kitchen. That's how much we love this band!

(The above comment was deleted because I accidentally logged in as my oldest daughter. I do this all the time.)