Thursday, January 12, 2012

On my lack of posting

I've basically used this blog as my memory book for the past few years, which has worked out well since I gave up keeping up individual books, oh, somewhere around Katie's 1st birthday.

I'm running into a problem now, though.  The girls, as they get older, love to pour over past posts, laughing at the silly things they used to do.  I'm glad they like it, but it poses a bit of a dilemma for me.  For one, I self-edit very heavily now, maybe too much so.  I find that I often start a post only to abandon it after editing out all the best parts.

Another issue can be summed up with the exchange I had this morning with Lucy.  She asked me for an orange, but when I began to peel it she flipped out.  She wanted to cut it with scissors and suck the juice out instead.  This comes from a video I posted about a year ago, when she had done that very thing.  The problem is, at the time it was funny and silly and just a one-off.  But because I put the video on the internet, suddenly Lucy views it as the thing to do. As a parent, I believe that part of my job is to not take the mistakes of my children too seriously- sometimes I really just need to keep a sense of humor and laugh it off.  But my children shouldn't view their mistakes that way - it is one thing for me to laugh at Lucy playing with scissors, it's another entirely for Lucy to think that it was such a funny thing to do that she should do it again!

So, I don't know what my game plan is going to be.  I may keep the blog up and running, and just tell the girls that it is off limits until they are a little bit older.  Or I may try to find the balance between kid-appropriate and boring.  Or I may do some other, third thing that I haven't thought of yet.  I don't know.  I'll let everyone know when I figure it out!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Kick Beth off. The computer is MINE ;) jk, Beth, love you!

Anonymous said...

Love your response Katie,spoken like a true oldest child.I am SURE your Mom did not mean you.!!!!!!

The rest of us will await your Mother's decision.

love
Grandma

Katie said...

Katie- go write on your own blog, slacker! ;-)

Becca said...

The above post is from me, obviously. I am literally losing my identity.

Katie said...

Well, now Beth said that she wants to TAKE OVER my blog. That is a direct quote!! -_-