Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whoever coined the phrase...


..."Sleeping like a baby" was a blithering idiot who obviously never spent any time around an actual baby.

What any parent of a newborn knows (and what I somehow manage to forget right before getting pregnant, every single time) is this: babies don't sleep.

Babies don't sleep. Ever. Unless, of course, you count the times when they sleep through feedings, and the times when they sleep snugly in your arms. Sleep, though, in the way most humans view it - consisting of even breathing, solitude, and unconsciousness for more than 15 minutes at a time - yeah, newborns don't do that

Luckily for me, Lucy has been sleeping through the night for a while now so I did not blunder into this "No Sleep for You!" thing pre-exhausted. Unluckily for me, the recovery from my c-section has been a little trickier this time and I have not been able to nurse the baby in bed, nor hold her while I lay down. These two things mean: I'm in pretty good spirits, but I am tired as all get out.

Chris took Ruth when he came home from work today, so that I could get a few hours of sleep before my next all-night-infomercial marathon (have you seen the YUDU? That thing looks awesome!) And you know what? I did not sleep like a baby.
I slept much, much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becca,

Hopefully some poor unsuspecting future mom does NOT read this and take it to heart.LOL
Your sleep depravation is showing.
This too shall pass and when she is a teenager and wants to sleep all day(like you did) you can wake her up.
God knows what he is doing, he makes them cute.Huggs and kissess to all.

Love
Mom/sweet non sleeping Ruth's grandma