Monday, August 30, 2010

New Grade, New School, New life.

Hi, this is Katie. I'm back from my first day of survival. Middle School....am I supposed to find this word scary? Today, August 30, was my first day. Beth went into 4th and Claire into 2nd. Abbie starts kindergarten tomorrow. I will now explain classes and such.

Homeroom/English: I get off the bus and go to a gym until 7:40 then go to my locker. I walk up to the middle floor, in the new building*. I am in homeroom then have language arts. I stay there. My teacher is extremely nice. And guess what? Her name is Katie. And the student-teacher's name is also Katie!

World Cultures: Let's skip this one. I didn't have it. I was still in homeroom.

Band: I had a little trouble finding it. I mean, it's in the old building*! I play the flute. This class is on A days**. My teacher is really nice (to a certain degree) and I like my classmates. My teacher is my only male teacher. I hope I enjoy it.

Health: Nothing to say here. I have it tomorrow, on a B day**.

Lunch: *sigh*, this did not start out well. This was the only time I got lost. It's not really a class, but I feel that I should include it. I teamed up with another girl (she had a map) and we worked together. We ended up asking a teacher then found our way. This is also in the old building*!

Math: My teacher is really nice. I had a few problems in there (needed to see chalkboard, no sharpener, lost composition book(that was found)). The class is right by my locker! :)

Reading: I love, love, love, reading! The teacher remembered my name, she's nice and understanding, and is a perfect reading teacher! The class easy to find.

Gym: Don't get me started. Getting dressed in a cramped room with 44 girls, hot and sweaty, being paired up in many different ways, new locker combination ( I have mastered my first) , this will probably the worst part of the day. It's hard to find too, in THE OLD BUILDING*!!! I like the girls and the gym teacher, though.:)

Science: Ahh...the end of the day. The teacher is AWESOME!! She is funny and laughs and explains things very well. The class is easy to find. I only know 4 kids.

Dismissal***: Report to locker (Certain days may require me to pick up my flute). Go outside to side loop. Find bus. Save seat for BFF.

The Bus: I have to wake up at 6:00. There are some High School-ers on. They're not very appropriate. The bus driver is really nice. She is very observant and kind. My BFF, Natalie, rides the bus as well (Whoohoo!!). I then take the bus back home***.

I have art the second half of the year (instead of health). I really get hot and sweaty running around.
*There is the old building and an annex, the same size. It is a MAZE in the old building. I cannot find ANYTHING there! The annex is super easy to navigate.
**There are A days and B days. On A days I have band and on B days I have health. Everything else is the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Thanks for the update! I am glad you survived your first day. ;) I bet by the end of the week you will have no problem navigating through the old building. I hope you continue to like your teachers. Quick question...why are LA and reading separate classes? I'm just curious. Talk with you soon.
Love,
Becky

Anonymous said...

katie,

Thanks for the update on your new school. Sounds like you get extra exercise just running from class to class. So glad you had a buddy with a map.Not surprise to read that you loved reading.
It is going to be a great year for you.
Love
grandma

Katie said...

To Aunt Becky: I do not know. But get this, In Language Arts we read books, But not in Reading! It seems so weird, like the classes are switched. In reading it's just "do you like reading?"
To Grandma: I have a map now, and I know my way around the school.

Here's Health class: I am the only girl at the table. There is one bad kid (I don't mean just fooling around, there's more). He put me in an awkward position. I know 2 other kids. The teacher paid no attention to anything. most of the time she was looking for stuff but the classroom seems organized. That kid just...ARRG!!! Ok, it wasn't all bad. And, fine, sometimes I laughed when someone made a joke. Nobody(besides the bad kid) talked when the teacher was, though.
World Cultures: Class fine, teacher fine....3 PAGES OF HW FIRST DAY!!!