The girls had a half-day on Friday, so we decided that it would be fun to walk to the little playground that is about a mile down the road. The neighbor kids showed up and asked if they could come along, so we packed up some water and headed out.
We met another family at the park and had a great time. The kids were all playing well, it was a gorgeous day, and the hours just sped by. Some time around 5, however, the neighbor kids' Grandmother suddenly showed up in her car and informed all of us that a tornado warning had just been issued for our area.
I looked up at the sky, which was darkening in the distance, and the wind was picking up a bit, but it didn't look like anything terribly serious. I mentally dismissed the Grandmother's panic, and declined an offer from my friend to drive us home. The walk to the park had been nice, and I could see no reason why the walk back wouldn't be as enjoyable.
About 2/3 home, however, things suddenly took a very, very bad turn. The sky became purple and the wind began to howl. Rain came from nowhere and literally drenched us all to the skin within a few seconds. The girls were completely panicked. It all happened so fast that I can't remember who was doing what, but somebody took off running in pure fear and it was nearly impossible to shout at her over the wind. I finally gathered everyone around me, and decided to call Chris for rescue and then find a place where we could wait. As I dialed my phone, however, the wind ripped a FOR SALE sign off of the house across the street, and whipped it directly at us. The girls were screaming, and I tried to simultaneously shield Lucy (who was on my back) and deflect the sheet of heavy metal from the girls. Honestly, I can't remember how we avoided getting hit by it -- whether I did something, or whether the wind just diverted it in another direction, but as soon as we were clear from that danger, I shouted for the girls to run with all their might for the Post Office ahead of us.
We made it inside without further incident, all of us soaking wet but otherwise not hurt. The Post Office matron very kindly gave us all towels to dry our faces and after a few minutes Chris showed up to bring us home.
Later that day, Katie - who has been living in Middle Earth for a while now - told me that she no longer feels as eager for adventure as she had been. "Being in danger wasn't exciting at all," she said, "it just felt scary."
Monday, April 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Listen, having 4 younger siblings, that's good enough for me. But you know, people change their mind......
Oh Becca,
I choose to believe it was every bodies guardian angels watching over all of you ,keeping you guys safe.
Thank You God and all of heaven for keeping Becca and all the kids safe.
Love
Mom/Grandma
OK, this has absolutely nothing to do with your weather fiasco! I just wanted to say "hi". I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I see that you are expecting--congratulations!!! So, you, me, Vanessa, AND Kim D.??? How cool is that? I can't remember how your pregnancies treated you, except for your deliveries, so I hope that you are feeling well! Take care!
--Mandy Mianecki:)
Hey Mandy! You are pregnant, too? It's an epidemic!!! :-)
I'm feeling great these days. The early weeks were rougher than usual for me, but lately that seems to have passed. How are you feeling?
I am 13 weeks and praying for functionality to kick in any time now:) It may be my imagination, but these pregnancies seem to get increasingly harder. We are all excited though, boy or girl, which we plan to find out in July.
~Mandy
Post a Comment