Monday, January 18, 2010

Fuel for the midnight oil

This weekend, I made a skateboard out of cake for a friend's son's birthday party. However, due to upheavals and various other drama in the bakery, I am working more hours (and the worst hours) this week than ever before and I am tired. Tie-red. Tahred. Taaahed.

So, naturally, I stayed up until midnight making the skateboard the night before working a 4am shift at the bakery. Around 10pm things were getting worrisome, as I was dragging and despairing as the fondant I was trying to color red remained a stubborn dark pink. Katie and Beth were still up, watching as I kneaded the ball of fondant over and over, adding more and more red dye (and drops of blue...and drops of black).

They had been quiet for a while, and I was wondering if the girls were beginning to despair - as I certainly was - that I would ever get it right. Just then, though, Beth leaned over and said, " I sometimes think that you are just about the best cook in the whole world, and I guess I'm pretty lucky that you are my mother."

!!!!

Should one be in need of motivation a statement like that does the trick, to put it simply .

I guess I'm pretty lucky to have daughters like this.


* I'll post of picture of the cake - which turned out pretty well (It wasn't perfect, but I was mostly pleased) if my laptop ever lets me upload the pictures.

No comments: